Monday, October 5, 2009

DIY jewelry organizer

After seeing this cool idea for a jewelry organizer on etsy.com





I decided instead of shelling out the cash, I would do it myself
because I would have more fun and it would be inexpensive. First, I
did my research: web searches with keywords like necklace, jewelry,
organizer. Came across a little bit country at aidenloveszoe.com




and a wiki-how to. While finding sites like, www.craftzine.com and www.craftbits.com to be inspiring, I had little luck for more visuals or instructions.

In my process of research, I also consulted artistic friends for ideas. My supremely talented artist friend, Lindsay told me she had made something like this before and used embroidery floss instead of wire. After seeing the "country" frame, I was hesitant.

After I accidentally broke the glass on a frame I was using for photos, I had the perfect frame. It’s gold, long, slender and fits perfectly between my sink and mirrored medicine cabinet.

With the gold frame, I decided the wire would be too much, so I decided on
Lindsay’s idea of embroidery floss. At less than a dollar each,
embroidery floss is inexpensive and colorful. Then I bought an
inexpensive staple gun and staples at McGuckin Hardware, the best hardware store in the U.S.!

After I had gathered all my supplies, I chose one floss color and started
stapling the floss to the back of the frame. I went randomly from one
side of the frame to another side. Filling in space where I could,
then looping the floss around other pieces of floss to provide more
surface area for the jewelry.






I used the entire skein of blue floss, moved on to using the entire
skein of green, then finally I used most of the skein of brown floss.



Overall I am very happy with the way this project turned out and it
cost me less than $30! Since I am using the jewelry organizer mostly
for necklaces, it is a little difficult to take them on and off by
unclasping them, so I may add some buttons to hang them on to make
taking them on and off easier.

2 comments:

Eli said...

Lizz that turned out great. You are so creative.

ERICA E. ROGERS said...

When are you going to post some photos of your +10 sendings?